DAY 1- Nairobi- Lake Ellis
Pickup from Nairobi and drive to Chogoria gate.
Heavy snacks prepared by the chef is served shortly after arrival.
After lunch we will start our hike to Lake Ellis (camp)through Hargenia forest and tussock grass. We cross a stream before passing a fisheries station on the right but still under the beautiful Hargenia trees. After an hour moderate walk we exit the forest and into the moorland, the Road End camp is an hour or so. Along the trails, we enjoy views of Mugi Hill and the Giant Billiard Table. Visit River Nithi and Nithi falls enroute to lake Ellis.
Take a short walk to familiarize ourselves with the surroundings.
Return to campsite.
Supper is served.
Retire for sleep at own convenient time.
DAY 2 Lake Ellis-/Mintos/
Its a beautiful morning by the lake, be sure to wake up early to catch the sunrise, as the first light hits the undisturbed waters except for trouts in their wake to feed. After breakfast, we follow the track through heather and the golden moorland. After 30 minutes we get to one of the streams that drain into the Nithi falls, we can refill our water bottles here as we take our first water break. From here its an uphill task emerging from the valley and behind us bidding Lake Ellis goodbye. After 2-3 hrs up we get to the intersection of the traditional Chogoria route and our path. This will be our Lunch break point. As we enjoy our lunch we now also from this point have a glimpse of Lake Michaelson.
After lunch and some good rest, we start again following the main trail up Mintos Camp and then branch off to the left after 20 minutes. From this point it’s a gentle uphill to the Camp. From the camp if the mountain is not shy reveals the two main peaks Lenana and Batian. In the afternoon if our energies are still up we can take a walk to Mintos Tarn and also down to the Temple- beautiful rock formation 20 minutes down the camp. Later in the evening early dinner is served and we retire to our tents for a good rest and prepare for an early morning summit.
Start: Lake Ellis (3455m)
Finish: Mintos Camp (4200m)
Altitude: ↑ 745m
Walking time: 6-7h
-Lunch & overnight at mintos
Day 3: Minto`s – Pt Lenana ( 4,985m)- Old Moses camp.
Predawn attempt of the summit starts at 03:00 am. We hike for about three hours up to Point Lenana (4985m), the hiker’s summit, arriving there in time to watch the African sunrise. Descend to Shipton camp for breakfast. After breakfast, begin a 5 hour descent via Mackinder`s valley to the Old Moses camp (3,300m). The descent is gentle and it offers ample time to enjoy fascinating scenery which includes the moorlands before reaching the camp.
Start: Mintos Camp (4200m)
Finish: Point Lenana (4985m) – Shipton’s Camp (4200m) – Old Moses Camp (3300m)
Altitude: ↑ 785m ↓ 1685m
Walking time: 12-14h(24KM)
Day 4 Old moses to Nairobi
After early morning breakfast, descend for 3 hours to the Sirimon Park gate and travel to Nairobi.
For more info you can reach us through-:
- Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation.
- Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
- Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Services of a professional guide, porters and skilled cook
- Treated water on the trek.
- Start and finish Nairobi
- Training cost and purchase of mountain gear.
- Emergency evacuation cover USD. 24.00 from Amref
- Meals outside the mountain
- Other Items not mentioned above
- Accommodation before/after the trek
- Trekking gears
- Items of personal nature
WHAT TO CARRY/REQUIREMENTS
- Balaclava – bochori
- 3 Thermal tops
- 4 T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Rain coat
- Wind jacket / Down jacket
- 2 Trousers (quick dry and light)
- Hard Shell Summit pants
- 3 Thermal bottoms
- Rain trousers
- Gloves (woollen and waterproof)
- Shorts (optional)
- Thin socks
- Thick socks (synthetic or wool – 4 to 5 pairs)
- Hiking boots (water proof, strong, light – a size big enough to allow multiple layers of socks)
- Sandals or slippers (after the hike and for allowing your feet to relax)
- Sleeping bag
- Porter’s bag (having all your gear and carried for you by the porter)
- Day pack (the climber’s bag having all requirements the climber needs)
- Water bottle (2 litres preferably)
- Hot Water Bottle – to keep warm at night
- Head torch & extra batteries
- Toiletries (include wet wipes, since bathing is difficult due to low temperatures)
- Hiking pole / walking stick
- Energy sweets and snacks
- A positive Outdoor Attitude 🙂
Payments to be made via MPESA till no 809744.Mpesa>>Lipa na mpesa>>Buy goods and services>
The pickup point is at Bata Shop near Hilton hotel at exactly 6:30 am.